Music Conductor/DirectorJune 17, 2020
Saint Joseph Symphony
Title of Position:
The Saint Joseph Symphony announces an opening for Music Director / Conductor. The Music Director / Conductor is responsible for the artistic vision and development of the orchestra. In addition to programming and conducting the concert season (currently four full orchestra concerts and a Student Concert Day), the Music Director will facilitate programming for the winter and summer chamber music series (three concerts each). The conductor also collaborates with Missouri Western State University faculty in organizing ‘Instrumental Infusion’, a two-day event introducing young students to instruments of the orchestra. The successful candidate will promote the symphony as an asset to the cultural life of the region and develop a strong network with musicians and music educators in the community. Duties associated with this part-time position include:
• Program and conduct the concert season, and coordinate with the Managing Director, Personnel Manager, and Librarian to execute each concert.
• Facilitate the programming and booking of musicians for the chamber music series.
• Oversee the audition / hiring / dismissal of musicians.
• Assist in the selection of principal players and guest artists, and coordinate communication and collaboration with guest artists.
• Present a ‘Pre-Curtain Talk’ the evening of each major concert and a ‘Pre-Concert Dinner Talk’ during the week before.
• Develop / sustain the performance quality of the orchestra.
Review of applications will begin on September 1, 2020 but we will continue to accept applications until the position is filled. All materials for applications must be submitted electronically to Lori McAlister, Managing Director for the Saint Joseph Symphony, via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org. Questions regarding the position should also be directed to the above email address. Application submissions should include the following:
1. Signed letter of application that addresses listed qualifications.
2. Detailed curriculum vita.
3. Names, addresses, phone numbers, and e-mail addresses of 3-5 professional references,
4. Repertoire list of orchestral works conducted.
5. Three programs (as a PDF file) of full concerts conducted by the applicant.
6. Online links (i.e. YouTube, etc…) to a recent (within the last five years) 20-30 minute digital video of applicant conducting an orchestral rehearsal and a 20-30 minute digital audio or video recording of recent performances conducted by the applicant.
** NOTE: If chosen as a finalist for the position, the applicant will be required to program and conduct a full concert cycle, including rehearsals. The concert dates are currently scheduled for either March 27, 2021 and/or April 24, 2021. Finalists will work directly with the Managing Director, Personnel Manager, Librarian, and the Symphony Board in order to execute their chosen concert cycle. The winning candidate will begin work with the Saint Joseph Symphony for the 2021-22 season, with initial work (programming, personnel, etc…) to begin in the Summer of 2021.
Name of Contact:
Email Address of Contact: