Shelter AdvocateFebruary 9, 2021
YWCA St. Joseph
Title of Position:
Shelter Advocate Full-Time
Job Purpose: Provide trauma-informed services and support to individuals who are experiencing domestic violence, sexual violence and/or homelessness.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
• Provide all services within a victim-centered, trauma-informed framework.
• Answer crisis hotline calls and assist callers by providing emotional support, safety planning, crisis intervention, education and information/referral.
• Triage requests for shelter services and complete Lethality Assessment, as appropriate.
• Provide crisis intervention, safety planning and/or assistance with completing ex-parte applications to walk-in victims of domestic and/or sexual violence.
• Complete intake paperwork and orientation for new shelter residents.
• Provide services and support to shelter residents throughout their stay.
• Provide assistance with needs/issues related to group living.
• Assist with conflict resolution and mediate disagreements, as appropriate.
• Maintain safety and security of residents and shelter facility.
• Prompt compliance with shelter guidelines and take corrective action as needed.
• Assist with packing vacated resident rooms, cleaning, preparing/serving resident meals and similar tasks necessary for the operation of shelter.
• Document all services provided and enter information into database within 3 days of service provision.
• Maintain statistics and complete reports as assigned.
• Complete filing, data entry/stats and maintain resident records in collaboration with Data Services Specialist and Shelter Advocate Coordinator.
• Participate in team meetings, professional development activities and trainings as assigned.
• On-Call duties required.
• Other related duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree in human services field or equivalent education and/or experience.
• Experience working in human services field preferred.
• Knowledge of domestic & sexual violence dynamics preferred.
• Intermediate computer skills required.
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
• Ability to maintain confidentiality.
• Ability to relate well to diverse populations.
• Ability to work independently and as a team.
• Must be 18 years or older and able to pass State Child Abuse/Neglect screening & Criminal Background Check.
• X Full-time (40 hours per week)
• FT is 3pm-11pm Tuesday through Sat
• Employee works in an office environment and is protected from weather conditions and contaminants.
• Some on-call responsibilities required on a rotating basis.
• Standing or sitting for long periods, bending, stooping and occasional lifting.
• Repetitive hand motion (such as typing)
• Ability, on a consistent basis, to perform activities requiring cooperation, instruction, persuasion or speaking with others
• Ability to communicate effectively in person and on the telephone with consumers
• Ability to monitor resident activities and security systems
The successful individual will demonstrate the following:
• Behave Ethically: Understand ethical behavior and professional boundaries and ensure own behavior is consistent with professional ethical standards.
• Build Relationships: Establish and maintain positive working relationships with others both internally and externally to achieve the organizations goals of empowering women and eliminating racism.
• Communicate Effectively: Speak, listen and write in a clear, thorough and timely manner using appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques.
• Focus on Client Needs: Anticipate, understand and respond to the needs of consumers.
• Make Decisions: Assess situations to determine the importance, urgency and risks and make clear decisions which are timely and in the best interests of the consumer and the organization.
• Organization: Set priorities, develop a work schedule, and monitor progress towards goals and track details/data/information/activities.
• Technological Aptitude: Understand software applications and maintain skills necessary to effectively perform key responsibilities through use of company utilized programs.
Hours are 3pm-11pm Tuesday through Sat.
Competitive Salary and fringe benefits. YWCA St. Joseph is an equal opportunity employer. Women, minorities, people with disabilities and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. *EEO* *AAP*
Name of Contact:
Email Address of Contact: