Why is St. Joseph Perfectly Positioned?
St. Joseph’s unique and multi-dimensional transportation resources set this city apart from the entire Midwestern region. The city has been a hub for change and forward-thinking since its beginning, when it served as a bustling westward expansion jump-off point and a hot-point for early river trade. Today, that spirit is still alive, and St. Joseph is a modern city where river, rail, air and highway transportation meet, fueling some of the nation’s top organizations.
Near the Nation’s Manufacturing Centers
The city’s centralized location puts companies within 500 miles of 44 percent of the total U.S. manufacturing establishments, and 200 miles within the nation’s population center.
St. Joseph is Just 35 Minutes from Kansas City International Airport
Just 35 minutes south of St. Joseph via I-29 is Kansas City International (KCI) airport. KCI is a full service, international airport served by every major U.S. passenger and all-cargo carriers. More than 400 flights from 11 major carriers arrive and depart daily from KCI, and airfares are among the lowest in the nation.
St. Joseph: At the Center of Major Interstate Transportation
The city is a crossroads for two major thoroughfares, Interstate 29 and U.S. Highway 36.
- Interstate 29, a major north-south interstate, runs through our city providing a corridor from Canada to Mexico.
- Northern Missouri’s primary east-west thoroughfare, U.S. Highway 36, intersects with I-29 in St. Joseph. U.S. 36 is four lanes across Missouri and provides a direct route from Ohio to Colorado.
- Also intersecting in St. Joseph is U.S. Highway 71, extending from the Canadian border to Shreveport, La.
Less than 45 Minutes Away From Additional Major Interstate Routes
- Within 35 minutes, reach I-35: Major junctions along I-35 include San Antonio, Dallas, Kansas City and Minneapolis.
- Within 45 minutes, access to I-70: I-70 is one of the nation’s most traveled interstates, spanning from Utah to Maryland.
- Within 30 minutes, reach I-435: Along I-435, you’ll find connection points to almost every interstate highway in the Kansas City region.
Want to Get There? It’s All Right Here
Not only is St. Joseph at the heart of major interstate crossroads, mileage from St. Joseph to major cities is convenient and affordable, due to our city’s centralized location. It’s just 90 minutes to Topeka, Kan. It’s only three hours to Des Moines, Iowa. You can reach Omaha, Neb., in just 2 hours. Downtown
Kansas City is only 55 minutes away.
Reach Major Cities Fast: Mileage from St. Joseph
- Kansas City – 53 miles
- Topeka, KS – 100 miles
- Omaha, NE – 135 miles
- Des Moines, IA – 170 miles
- Wichita, KS – 235 miles
- Tulsa, OK – 290 miles
- St. Louis, MO – 305 miles
- Chicago, Illinois – 511 miles
- Dallas, Texas – 592 miles
- Denver, Colorado- 627 miles
- Atlanta, Georgia- 858 miles
- Los Angeles, California – 1,654 miles
- New York City, New York – 1,283 miles
St. Joseph Regional Port Authority
The Missouri River, part of the nation’s inland waterway system, is St. Joseph’s gateway to the Gulf of Mexico. Our public river port facility gives area businesses the affordable option of transporting via river barge. The port is located at Missouri River mile 448. The port facility also has a Union Pacific rail spur. It is operated by Transport 360, which is built to accommodate everything from small business to major corporations.
Aircraft Charter Services
Serving St. Joseph’s civilian and military needs is Rosecrans Memorial Airport. The airport boasts two fully ILS-equipped runways—one is 8,050 long—and provides capacity for any size aircraft. Express Flight, Inc. is the Fixed Base Operator at Rosecrans and offers aircraft charter, rental, instruction and fuel services including Jet A. Rosecrans also serves as the home base for the 139th Airlift Wing of the Missouri Air National Guard Unit.
The airport is large and well-equipped with an FAA-manned tower open from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m., Monday through Friday. Charter, air ambulance service, flight training and aircraft services are available. The airport is home to more than 90 planes. For more information call (816) 233-3444.
Rail service provided by Union Pacific Railroad and BNSF Railway provides direct access to all parts of North America.